Saturday 16 August 2014

Bon anniversaire mon empereur... and the Divine Julius goes 21stC

As most readers of this blog will know, today, 15th August, marks the Emperor's birthday.


If you don't know a lot about the great man, you would do well to tune in to the Napoleon podcast. Hosted by Cameron Riley, this podcast features a series of interviews with David J Markham, historian and President of the International Napoleonic Society.

Recently Cameron has turned his hand to another of the big names of history, and one of Napoleon's heroes, Gaius Julius Caesar.


This podcast now includes a 'premium' edition which features interviews with scholars of Caesar and ancient Rome. The first of these is with our 'own' Prof. Tom Stevenson of the University of Queensland, Brisbane. I was out and about today, so was able to listen to this marvellous interview in its entirety. Recommended.

9 comments:

  1. Talk about "Le Petit Caporal"; quite a pic. A day to celebrate with Poulet a la Marengo, and a glass of Chambertin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a kleptomaniac for images of things historical/wargaming, especially Napoleonic, I saved this one back in 2002. Unfortunately, and naughtily, I did not record the source and there was no information about it saved with the file. I had a quick look to see if I could find it again. No luck, but I did stumble on this little gem (http://gibbons.tumblr.com/page/6) of 'The young daughter of the actress Gabrielle Réjane posing as Napoleon'! (Scroll down to the third image).

      Delete
    2. Very cute picture as well!

      Delete
  2. Two interesting podcast recommendations. I believe I'll try both!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you'll enjoy them Jonathan. They are really interesting, and mixed with a bit of fun and humour too!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, L'Empereur! And thanks for the podcast plugs, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure Cameron, thanks to you and Ray for producing them. I really enjoyed the ones about the Great Man (N) and also the interview with Prof. Tom. I was in and out of the vehicle and could not wait to get back to the next bit each time that I paused it. I have now downloaded the 'linear' episodes, so shall listen to them in due course.
      Perhaps I might meet the good Prof. Tom one day as he is a colleague of a friend of mine, also a history prof. at UQ. Small world!

      Delete